‣ Why Begin Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour
As the deepest gorge in the world, the scenery of Tiger Leaping Gorge is spectacular. Foreign backpackers started hiking in the area in the 1980s and now Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour has been one of the most famous hiking tour all around the world. From the top of Tiger Leaping Gorge, you can look down the steeply angled (70-90 degrees) mountain sides to the rushing Jinsha River with its 18 frothing rapids more than 200 meters below. Naturally Tiger Leaping Gorge is divided into three sections: Upper Tiger Leaping Gorge, Middle Tiger Leaping Gorge and Lower Tiger Leaping Gorge.
‣ Where is Tiger Leaping Gorge
About 100 km north from Lijiang, the Gorge is precisely located between the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain (玉龙雪山, in the Yulong Naxi County, part of the city-prefecture area of Lijiang) and the Haba Snow Mountain (哈巴雪山, in the the Shangri-La County, part of the Diqing prefecture).
‣ Basic Information of Tiger Leaping Gorge
• Chinese Name: 虎跳峡
• Keywords: First Hiking Route in China, One of Ten Typical Hiking Routes in the World
• Area: 1 million square kilometers
• Location: Hutiaoxia Town, Shangri-La City, Diqing Prefecture, Yunnan Province, China
• Altitude: 1630-1800 meters
• Altitude of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain: 5596 meters
• Altitude of Haba Snow Mountain: 5396 meters
• Opening Time: 09:00-18:00
‣ Three Sections of Tiger Leaping Gorge
9km away from the Tiger Leaping Gorge Town, is the narrowest part of the whole gorge.
5 km from the upper section. “Mantianxing”reef area is the most dangerous area.
There is a giant gully with about 1km depth, this part is close to the exit of the gorge.
‣ How to Get in Tiger Leaping Gorge
• By Vehicle: fast and convinient
• Hiking: High Path or Gravel Road, strenuous but more fun
|Tiger Leaping Gorge||‣ Please note that visitors should pay CNY 65 for adimission fee.|
‣ Legend about Tiger Leaping Gorge
It is said that a hunter was chasing a tiger through the gorge many years ago. When it reached the narrowest point the tiger leapt across the Jinsha River, escaping the furious hunter. The rock where the tiger made its jump is now an iconic viewing point.
There is another legend that a rich Lijiang ruler, Lord Mu, rode on his tiger to go along the side of Jinsha River one day. He and tiger went to a relatively narrow area, the tiger leaped to a large rock in the center of the river. The tiger landed but Lord Mu was not landing at the same time and had dropped into a rolling river. Time has passed, there left a tiger leaping stone for future generations.
‣ Before Your Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour
• Best Time to Visit Tiger Leaping Gorge
Between April and June and the autumn time during September to October is the best time to travel. During these two periods it is suitable to go hiking on the Tiger Leaping Gorge, also can see the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain scenery. The late spring and early summer the temperature is moderate, flowers on the meadow blooming like a piece of brocade which is charming.
*Avoiding June to Septemper - because it is the rain season which is dangerous and unsafety of the hiking route. Rain makes the rocks slippery and the path muddy. Walking over a fresh rockslide might be tricky.
• Recommended Visit Time
It is recommended to take 3 to 4 days to walk inside the Gorge and enjoy the scenery. It is definitely a good plan if you have enough time to walk on side ways, linger under the sun and chat with local people. Yunnan Adventure Travel has rich experience in working out Tiger Leaping Gorge hiking plan and offers professional English tour guide, please contact us to design your Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking tour without hesitation.
|Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Routes||Time|
|• Lijiang - Qiaotou - High Trail - Middle Tiger Leaping Stone - Ferry - Daju - Yulong Snow Mountain (Maoniuping) - Lijiang||3-4 Days|
|• Lijiang - Qiaotou - High Trail - Middle Tiger Leaping Stone / Upper Tiger Leaping Stone - Qiaotou - Lijiang / Zhongdian||2 Days|
|• Lijiang - Qiaotou - High Trail - Middle Tiger Leaping Stone - Baishuitai , Haba Village - Zhongdian||3-4 Days|
(All itineraries proposed here don't include the time you would spend in Lijiang and Zhongdian.)
• Middle Tiger Leaping Stone
This sight is located more than 500 meters vertically down from Tina's Guesthouse.
Daju is situated past Walnut Grove at the northeast end of Tiger Leaping Gorge, on a large flat shelf of land on the opposite side of the Jinsha River from the Tiger Leaping Gorge trails.
Along the Low Road, Walnut Grove is a peaceful village where hikers used to spend a night on the way to Daju or Haba.
All of the guesthouses provide local food and simple western food because it has been a long history of Tiger Leaping Gorge hiking for international tourists.These tourists taught local people how to cook western food with local food.So it is very convenient to enjoy very nice food along the Tiger Leaping Gorge.
• Chinese Name: 纳西雅阁
• Address: Zhongnuoyu Village, Hutiaoxia Town, Shangri-La
• Location: High Trail
• Chinese Name: 茶马客栈
• Address: Yongsheng Village, Hutiaoxia Town, Shangri-La
• Location: High Trail
• Chinese Name: 中途客栈
• Address: Tiger Leaping Gorge Scenic Area, Shangri-La
• Location: High Trail
• Chinese Name: 中峡国际青年旅舍
• Address: Start Point of Middle Tiger Leaping Gorge, Shangri-La
• Location: Junction of High Trail and Low Road
There are two buses depart (8:00 and 8:30) from Lijiang to Tiger Leaping Gorge Town directly. Or you can take bus from Lijiang to Shangri-La County, and drop off at Tiger Leaping Gorge Town.There are many buses from Shangri-La County to Lijiang, getting off at Tiget Leaping Gorge Town.
• Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tips
• While trekking in Tiger Leaping Gorge, watch out for the slippery stone paths. Skid-resistant shoes are recommended to avoid accidents.
• You can travel lightly. Meals, drinks and accommodations are available. The inns may not provide clean sheets, so you might want to take sheets. Be sure to have rain gear of some kind and a canteen or water bottle.
• Though the trail is well used, it is safer not to hike it alone. It might be best to travel with a partner or in a group. If you get hurt, a partner can help. Hospitals and clinics in the area may not have someone who speaks English. It is easier to get lost if you are alone. Yunnan Adventure Travel offers professional English tour guides who have rich experience in Tiger Leaping Gorge HIking Tour. If you are interested in Tiger Leaping Gorge Hiking Tour, please contact us to design your private tour.
• Surrounded Snow Mountains
The forth high mountain in Yunnan Province, famous snow mountain in mountaineering club in the world.
The 13 peaks of 18,360-foot Jade Dragon (Yu Long) Snow Mountain, a treasure of wild plants and rare animals, are like a silver dragon lying in the clouds.
You will only receive emails that you permitted upon submission and your email address will never be shared with any third parties without your express permission.