Keywords: Sunset, Photograph
Location: 50 km south from the Nansha town(the new Yuanyang town) and 23 km south from Xinjie town( the old Yuanyang town), Honghe Hani and Yi Autonomous Prefecture.
Rice Terraces Area: more than 8.5 square kilometers
About Laohuzui Rice Terraces:
The scenic area mainly consists of Mengpin Village, Dongfu Village, Amengkong Village, Baoshan Village and etc. The rice terraces here are known as the most breathtaking fields of their kinds in Yuanyang area. Some viewing areas were built for seeing and photographing the terraced fields.
As a scenic area with the most precipitous gradient, the grandest vigor and the widest occupation, Tiger Mouth Rice Terraces are featured by the strong gradation and the gorgeous color. Literally translated from Chinese, Laohuzui means "the mouth of the tiger". It seems it is possible to distinguish the form as a tiger mouth in the rice fields; while some others think it’s kind of the shape of a horse.
Wonderful Sunset with the Changeable Color Reflected on the Water
Best Time to Visit:
The best moment to enjoy the marvelous rice terraces view is during the sunset period. In addition, the sunrise and cloud sea in Laohuzui are also very beautiful.
From November to April, the terraces are in irrigation period and most of the wonderful pictures you see on the Internet are viewed at that time. From every May, the Laohuzui rice fields turn into green from yellow right after the farmers did the rice seedlings at the end of spring.
Two Spots to Shoot Sunset:
Laohuzui Rice Terraces has two viewing areas, one high up near the access road that has recently been enclosed by a 200 meter fence.The upper area can quickly become a noisy traffic jam before sunset, when tour buses, private cars and trucks clog the narrow road outside the upper viewing area. Regardless of which platform you choose, it is advisable to show up at least an hour before sunset to get a good spot.nce. There is also a lower area that can be reached after walking down a set of switchbacks. You may want to skip the lower platform if you have bad knees or smoke three packs of Honghe cigarettes a day, as the climb back up is fairly strenuous.
Distances from Others Scenic Areas in Yuanyang:
• Duoyishu Rice Terraces: about 7.2 kilometers
• Bada Rice Terraces: about 5 kilometers
• Qingkou Folk Village: about 4.8 kilometers
• The day ticket is CNY 100 (including Duoyishu, Bada, Laohuzui Scenic Areas and Jingkou Folk village).
• The through ticket is CNY 180 ( you can visit the above four scenic areas in ten days of validity).
• The annual ticket is CNY 360 ( you can visit the above four scenic areas in one year of validity).
There is one 3-star hotel called Yuanyang Yunti Hotel in Xinjie Town and travelers are recommended to spend your night there. Besides, there are many hostels in Xinjie Town and other scenic areas and if you want to find a hostel with basic facilities close to the scenic area, you’ve got a lot of choice.
Opening Hours: 8:00~Sunset
• You can take the regular bus from Kunming to Yuanyang in Kunming South Passenger Station at 10:20/12:30/19:00 every day, CNY 139 per, lasting 5 to 6 hours.
• You can take the regular bus from Kunming to Nansha county then take the mini bus to Xinjie town(CNY 10 per, departing from 7:00~20:00). From Xinjie town to the entrance of the Yuanyang Hani Rice Terraces or from the entrance to each scenic spot, you can rent a car to go, CNY 5~10 yuan per.
Chartered Car:• It cost about CNY 300 a day to visit around Yuanyang Rice Terraces, and about CNY 100 to get to Laohuzui Rice Terraces.
Hani Ethnic Festivals & Traditions:
Hani people would celebrate some traditional festivals, like Hani New Year, Kuzhazha Festival, etc.
Hani New Year is like the Spring Festival of Han. It takes place in the first Dragon Day of the 10th lunar month each year and lasts 5 to 6 days and even as long as 13 days. Every family would prepare chicken, pork to worship their ancestors and family members gather together to enjoy the union. In the last day of the New Year, a Long Table Banquet will be arranged and tables will be laid in the street which can extend to one kilometer long. Each family will serve the most sumptuous dishes to fill up a table and enjoy the banquet together.
Kuzhazha Festival takes place from lunar June 23 to 26 and every family makes sticky rice, sets the feast, makes fresh rice and worships the ancestor.
Other Travel Tips:
• The visitors usually set off to Laohuzui Rice Terraces after 4:30 pm, you can check out the time of sunset on the Internet or ask the local people.
• The weather forecast of Yuanyang on the Internet may be not exact because the weather of the rice terraces area is always changeable and unpredictable.• The temperature here varies greatly between day and night. Please pay attention to keep warm especially in early morning or at night.
You will only receive emails that you permitted upon submission and your email address will never be shared with any third parties without your express permission.